FLUID POWER MECHANIC
- Program: Fluid Power Engineering Technology
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 34
Academic Planning Guide:
The Fluid Power Mechanic fabricates, assembles, repairs and tests hydraulic and pneumatic components. The mechanic must follow instructions, read schematics, read precision measuring devices, record data and analyze test data. This person troubleshoots automated equipment, performs routine maintenance and connects units to automated control systems. Individuals with previous mechanical experience, small engine or automotive backgrounds do extremely well in the Fluid Power Mechanic program. This program is designed to prepare an individual to meet the challenges of current industry trends. The program courses cover hydraulics, pneumatics, blueprint reading, programmable logic controls and industrial electricity.
The Fluid Power Mechanic will find employment in hydraulic repair facilities, heavy equipment repair and service and manufacturing (food processing, plastics, printing, precision metal and woodworking industries.)
- Demonstrate teamwork.
- Adhere to Occupational Safety & Health Administration (O.S.H.A.) safety guidelines and practices.
- Identify components that are utilized in the fluid power industry.
- Apply engineering concepts as they relate to fluid power applications.
- Employ fluid power best-practices methods when troubleshooting and repairing fluid power systems.
- Apply National Electrical Manufacturers Association (N.E.M.A.) and International Electrotechnical Commission (I.E.C.) electrical standards and practices as they relate to electrical concepts and equipment.
- Utilize calculations as they relate to the design of efficient fluid power applications.
- Examine engineering design practices as they relate to the transmission of power.
- Develop programmable logic controller (PLC) programs using Boolean algebra methods and computer software applications.
- Integrate electrical, programmable logic controller (PLC) and electronic hardware with motion control components.
- Instrument fluid power systems.
- Utilize data acquisition methods when analyzing fluid power application efficiency.
- Incorporate human machine interface (HMI) technologies with fluid power applications.
- Produce engineering drawings and schematics using American National Standards Institute (ANSI), International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and industry symbols and standards.
- Use applied physics to investigate power transmission methods.
- FLPW1101 Fluid Power Technology I 3
- FLPW1106 Fluid Power Technology II 4
- FLPW1150 Pneumatic Components 4
- FLPW1181 Pumps, Actuators, and Conductors 4
- FLPW1191 Hydraulic Components 3
- FLPW1231 Industrial Electricity I 3
- FLPW1320 Hydraulic Circuits 2
- FLPW1340 Pneumatic Circuits and Air Logic 4
- FLPW2000 Programmable Logic Controllers 3
- METS1000 Computers in Manufacturing 3
- Any HTC college level general education course may be used to satisfy the elective requirement.
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses