FLUID POWER ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN
The Fluid Power Engineering Technician A.A.S. degree program prepares individuals to perform high level research and design work. Emphasis is placed on system design, test and evaluation, problem-solving, business communications, system integration, computer-aided circuit construction and programmable logic controls. Technicians design, modify and specify motion controls for today`s high speed production equipment. The program will focus on improving system efficiency through the integration of technology (hydraulics, pneumatics, PLC`s, industrial controls and computers). Individuals with a high mechanical aptitude that enjoy working with their hands as well as their minds should consider this program. This individual must be a people orientated person.
The fluid power industry is one of the fastest growing technologies today. Technicians will find employment with industries in automation, material handling and processing, heavy equipment, plant automation and fluid power distribution. These opportunities will exist in large and small companies in local as well as international markets. Jobs will include supervision, engineering, inside and outside sales consultant and product development.
- Demonstrate teamwork.
- Adhere to Occupational Safety & Health Administration (O.S.H.A.) safety guidelines and practices.
- Identify components that are utilized in the fluid power industry.
- Apply engineering concepts as they relate to fluid power applications.
- Employ fluid power best-practices methods when troubleshooting and repairing fluid power systems.
- Apply National Electrical Manufacturers Association (N.E.M.A.) and International Electrotechnical Commission (I.E.C.) electrical standards and practices as they relate to electrical concepts and equipment.
- Design fluid power systems in accordance with National Fluid Power Association (NFPA) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards and practices.
- Utilize calculations as they relate to the design of efficient fluid power applications.
- Examine engineering design practices as they relate to the transmission of power.
- Develop programmable logic controller (PLC) programs using Boolean algebra methods and computer software applications.
- Integrate electrical, programmable logic controller (PLC) and electronic hardware with motion control components.
- Instrument fluid power systems.
- Utilize data acquisition methods when analyzing fluid power application efficiency.
- Incorporate human machine interface (HMI) technologies with fluid power applications.
- Produce engineering drawings and schematics using American National Standards Institute (ANSI), International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and industry symbols and standards.
- Use applied physics to investigate power transmission methods.
- Collaborate with others to create a capstone project that utilizes the engineering portfolio concept.
- FLPW1101 Fluid Power Technology I 3
- FLPW1106 Fluid Power Technology II 4
- FLPW1150 Pneumatic Components 4
- FLPW1181 Pumps, Actuators, and Conductors 4
- FLPW1191 Hydraulic Components 3
- FLPW1231 Industrial Electricity I 3
- FLPW1320 Hydraulic Circuits 2
- FLPW1340 Pneumatic Circuits and Air Logic 4
- FLPW2000 Programmable Logic Controllers 3
- FLPW2112 Instrumentation of Fluid Power Systems 3
- FLPW2180 Circuit Design 3
- FLPW2191 Industrial Circuit Design 3
- FLPW2250 Proportional and Servo Controls (Robotics Application) 3
- FLPW2301 Mobile Circuit Design 3
- FLPW2321 System Engineering Portfolio 3
- METS1200 Industry Practices and Procedures 3
- METS2000 Engineering Design Principles 3
- METS2100 Statics and Strength of Materials 3
- Choose one of the following:
- ENGC1100 AutoCAD 4
- ENGC1160 Inventor 4
- ENGC1250 SolidWorks I 4
- ENGC2100 Basic Creo Parametric (Pro/ENGINEER) 4
- FLPW1400 Engineering Drawings and Schematics 4
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses