FLORAL BUSINESS OPERATIONS
- Program: Floral Design Careers
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
A degree in Floral Business Operations is for those individuals who wish to be at an advanced level of competence in floral design and who wish to own or operate a floral business. Floral shop owners need to be skilled in the areas of floral design; caring for foliage and flowering plants; flower shop operations; selling merchandise; and floral software and computer operations. In addition, to be successful, business owners need to be able to implement marketing strategies, supervise others, solve business problems, and apply financing principles. This degree combines a practical, step-by-step approach to floral design with a theoretical business foundation. Students will learn the theory, process, and practice of entrepreneurship alongside the floral skills. The aim of the degree is to present the most current thinking in entrepreneurship, as well as, provide learners the opportunity to apply ideas and develop useful entrepreneurial skills as related to the operation of a floral business.
Individuals completing this degree would be trained to operate a floral business. Professional Floral Designers are in high demand and career opportunities are good for well-prepared individuals. With ability, design creativity and professional business management skills, individuals can develop their own business as a profitable venture. Many full-service flower shops in Minnesota are owned or managed by former students of the Floral Design program.
- Apply care and handling techniques to all floral materials.
- Identify flowers and foliage.
- Design with all types of floral materials.
- Explain the basic care of houseplants based on type of plant.
- Perform basic daily floral shop operations.
- Display awareness of industry standards.
- Design personal flowers to wear and carry.
- Demonstrate advanced design techniques and styles.
- Calculate prices for arrangements.
- Solve business problems.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior.
- Apply marketing concepts and strategies.
- Apply supervision concepts to business problems.
- Utilize financial concepts in analysis of business problems.
- FLWR1100 Fresh Cut Flower/Foilage Care, Handling and Identification 2
- FLWR1112 Foliage and Flowering Plant Care, Handling and Identification 1
- FLWR1201 Fresh Flower Design 3
- FLWR1220 Contemporary Fresh Flower Design 2
- FLWR1231 Party Design 1
- FLWR1301 Permanent Flower and Foliage Design 3
- FLWR1400 Visual Merchandising in the Floral Industry 2
- FLWR1421 Internship 3
- FLWR1430 Entrepreneurship in the Floral Industry 2
- FLWR1440 Customer Service in the Floral Industry 1
- FLWR1500 Sympathy Design 2
- FLWR1600 Personal Flowers to Wear 2
- FLWR1610 Wedding Design 3
- FLWR1650 Advanced Floral Design 2
- ACCT1410 Business Finance 3
- BUSN1000 Introduction to Business 3
- BUSN1010 Marketing Concepts and Strategies 4
- BUSN1100 Supervision 3
- BUSN1510 Entrepreneurship 3
- COMM2050 Interpersonal Communication 3
- ENGL2121 Writing and Research 4
- ENGL2125 Technical Writing 3
- Choose one of the following:
Gen Ed Any course from Goal_2 (Critical Thinking)
Goal_4 (Mathematical/Logical Reasoning) of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum 3
- Choose one of the following:
Gen Ed Any course from Goal_5 (History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences)
Goal_9 (Ethics and Civic Responsibility) of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum 3
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).