GREENHOUSE PRODUCTION AND FLORAL DESIGN
- Program: Landscape and Horticulture Careers
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
This program is designed for students seeking careers in plant production and floral businesses. This particular degree has a stronger focus on the greenhouse portion. Course work focuses on floral design as well as greenhouse production. Students will utilize the program greenhouses for the growing of flower crops. Topics covered in this program include basic floral design, flower shop and greenhouse operations, marketing merchandise, and funeral floral design. Other duties include the growing of and caring for foliage and flowering plants, processing cut flowers and customer service. Some of the qualities desired to be successful include: the ability to work well with others, the desire to be part of a team, manual dexterity, good communication skills, the ability to be a self-starter and the desire to help others.
The knowledge and skills learned in this program provide students with the opportunity to work in wholesale and retail floral businesses and in the greenhouse production industry. Typical career positions include: Floral Designer, Garden Center Owner or Manager, Floral Wholesale Sales.
- Apply care and handling techniques to all floral and plant materials.
- Identify cut flowers, foliages and greenhouse crops.
- Design with fresh and permanent materials.
- Apply plant propagation methods.
- Maintain Greenhouse crops.
- Perform basic daily floral shop and greenhouse operations.
- Display awareness of industry standards (floral and greenhouse) and expectations.
- Develop plans for greenhouse businesses.
- Demonstrate knowledge of calculations within the industries.
- Operate industry equipment properly and efficiently.
- LNDC1141 Nursery Propagation and Production 3
- LNDC1160 Greenhouse Operation and Management 2
- LNDC1166 Greenhouse Crop Production Fall 3
- LNDC1176 Greenhouse Crop Production Winter 3
- LNDC1187 Greenhouse Crop Production Summer 2
- LNDC1220 Integrated Pest Management 2
- LNDC1242 Plant Biology 4
- LNDC1250 Bedding Plant Production 3
- LNDC1271 Soil Science 3
- LNDC2210 Interior Foliage Plants 2
- LNDC2261 Professional Gardening 3
- FLWR1100 Fresh Cut Flower/Foilage Care, Handling and Identification 2
- FLWR1201 Fresh Flower Design 3
- FLWR1220 Contemporary Fresh Flower Design 2
- FLWR1231 Party Design 1
- FLWR1401 Floral Service and Merchandising 2
- FLWR1500 Sympathy Design 2
- FLWR1600 Personal Flowers to Wear 2
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).