- Program: Accounting Careers
- Degree: Associate of Science
- Credits: Total Associate of Science Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
This degree is designed to prepare individuals for employment in the accounting profession at the associate accountant level. Students learn the basics of accounting principles, and how these are applied to real-world business settings, along with a variety of software commonly used by accountants. This degree also expands the students’ knowledge communication, writing, and critical thinking skills. Upon completion of the degree, the student can analyze financial transactions, record transactions, prepare financial statements and documents, and interpret financial information. This award will transfer to Metro State University and other institutions towards a Bachelors Degree in Accounting.
Job opportunities are available in any organization that conducts financial transactions: private business, non-profit and government organizations. Job titles include accounting clerk, payroll specialist, staff accountant, tax preparer, inventory clerk, associate accountant, and accounting support specialist.
- Analyze financial statements.
- Apply professional communication skills.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate mathematical skills essential to accounting.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior.
- Generate accounting financial statements.
- Record business transactions.
- Utilize current accounting and office software.
- Analyze various tax rules and regulations.
- Synthesize business information.
- ACCT1130 Microsoft Dynamics GP 3
- ACCT1135 QuickBooks 3
- BUSN1140 Business Law 3
- ACCT2155 Financial Accounting 4
- ACCT2221 Managerial Accounting 4
- ACCT2231 Income Tax 4
- ACCT-310 Financial Accounting Metro State University 4
- ACCT-530 Business Taxation Metro State University 4
- CCIS1080 Microsoft Office 2013 3
- COMM2130 Public Speaking 3
- ECON2200 Principles of Microeconomics 3
- ECON2300 Principles of Macroeconomics 3
- ENGL2121 Writing and Research 4
- MATH2150 Introduction to Statistics 3
- MATH2200 College Algebra 4 Gen Ed
- Choose three credits from MnTC Goal Area_6 3 Gen Ed
- Choose eight credits from two of the following MnTC Goal Areas:_2,_3,_7,_8,_9_ -or- 10 8