PNEUMATIC ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN
- Program: Fluid Power Engineering Technology
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 64
Academic Planning Guide:
Pneumatic Engineering Technicians are responsible for building and modifying pneumatic systems utilized in the fluid power industry. Pneumatic Engineering Technicians calculate pneumatic system parameters, design circuits, evaluate operating systems and recommend changes for maximum efficiency. This program will focus on pneumatic component repair and testing, industrial electricity, programmable logic controls, circuit design and system engineering design. Emphasis will be placed on computer-aided circuit construction and software programming of automated systems. Individuals that enjoy working with their hands as well as their minds and have a high mechanical aptitude should consider this program. Pneumatic Engineering Technicians must be able to read various fluid power schematics, determine adjustments to improve system efficiency and recommend circuit changes. Pneumatic Engineering Technicians test pneumatic components and systems, document changes and build new systems.
Pneumatic Engineering Technicians will find employment with fluid power manufacturing companies, sales organizations and distributors. Positions vary from fluid power technician, inside sales consultant, industrial maintenance technician and product testing.
- Demonstrate teamwork.
- Adhere to Occupational Safety & Health Administration (O.S.H.A.) safety guidelines and practices.
- Identify components that are utilized in the fluid power industry.
- Apply engineering concepts as they relate to fluid power applications.
- Employ fluid power best-practices methods when troubleshooting and repairing fluid power systems.
- Apply National Electrical Manufacturers Association (N.E.M.A.) and International Electrotechnical Commission (I.E.C.) electrical standards and practices as they relate to electrical concepts and equipment.
- Design fluid power systems in accordance with National Fluid Power Association (NFPA) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards and practices.
- Utilize calculations as they relate to the design of efficient fluid power applications.
- Examine engineering design practices as they relate to the transmission of power.
- Develop programmable logic controller (PLC) programs using Boolean algebra methods and computer software applications.
- Integrate electrical, programmable logic controller (PLC) and electronic hardware with motion control components.
- Instrument fluid power systems.
- Utilize data acquisition methods when analyzing fluid power application efficiency.
- Incorporate human machine interface (HMI) technologies with fluid power applications.
- Produce engineering drawings and schematics using American National Standards Institute (ANSI), International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and industry symbols and standards.
- Use applied physics to investigate power transmission methods.
- Collaborate with others to create a capstone project that utilizes the engineering portfolio concept.
- FLPW1101 Fluid Power Technology I 3
- FLPW1106 Fluid Power Technology II 4
- FLPW1150 Pneumatic Components 4
- FLPW1231 Industrial Electricity I 3
- FLPW1236 Industrial Electricity II 3
- FLPW1340 Pneumatic Circuits and Air Logic 4
- FLPW2000 Programmable Logic Controllers 3
- FLPW2020 Advanced Programmable Logic Controllers 3
- FLPW2112 Instrumentation of Fluid Power Systems 3
- FLPW2321 System Engineering Portfolio 3
- FLPW2360 Pneumatic Specialist Certification Review 2
- METS1200 Industry Practices and Procedures 3
- METS2000 Engineering Design Principles 3
- METS2100 Statics and Strength of Materials 3
- Choose one of the following:
- ENGC1100 AutoCAD 4
- ENGC1160 Inventor 4
- ENGC1250 SolidWorks I 4
- ENGC2100 Basic Creo Parametric (Pro/ENGINEER) 4
- FLPW1400 Engineering Drawings and Schematics 4
- METS1000 Computers in Manufacturing 3
- Any FLPW course that is not required for this award may be used as an elective.
- Any HTC 1000 level
higher general education course may be used to satisfy the elective requirements.
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses