PLASTICS ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
- Program: Plastics Engineering Technology
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 36
- Academic Planning Guide:
Plastics Technicians are needed for the demands of the rapidly growing plastics forming industry. These demands include the operation of processing equipment and the transforming of polymers (plastics) into usable products. Plastics personnel perform such operations as compounding materials, molding, forming, troubleshooting, inspecting, testing raw materials and finishing products, assisting in mold design and modification and developing new polymers (plastics) applications. Plastics Technicians acquire an understanding of polymers (plastics) processing equipment and materials.
There is a wide range of employment as well as advancement opportunities for the individual who seeks a career in the plastics forming industry. Plastics Technicians may find jobs in a variety of diverse areas such as; research and development, manufacturing, design and service. Employment potential lies in the following: supervision, molding technician, material handling, quality control, lab technician, engineering aids and in related areas such as the sale of plastics processing equipment and materials.
- Utilize safe working practices.
- Identify steps and procedures in the Injection Molding processes.
- Identify steps and procedures in the Extrusion Molding processes.
- Perform quality control practices.
- Identify steps and procedures in Properties and Tests of Plastics.
- Operate various types of plastics manufacturing processes.
- Apply principles of Plastics, Chemistry and Ingredients.
- Demonstrate good manufacturing practices (GMP).
- Demonstrate procedures used for plastics manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrate procedures used for plastics manufacturing auxiliary equipment.
- Demonstrate Communication in the Workplace.
- Demonstrate use of Computers in Manufacturing.
- METS1050 Quality Control 3
- PLST1008 Fundamentals of Plastics/Chemistry/Ingredients 4
- PLST1041 Introduction to Plastics Molding Processes 3
- PLST2007 Properties and Tests of Selected Plastics 4
Select from 12 credits of Injection Molding
7 credits of Extrusion Molding
- PLST2128 Injection Molding Process I 4
- PLST2138 Injection Molding Process II 4
- PLST2143 Injection Molding Process III 4
- PLST2011 Extrusion Molding Processes I 3
- PLST2017 Extrusion Molding Processes II 4