- Program: Medical Office Careers
- Degree: Occupational Certificate
- Credits: Total Occupational Certificate Credits 28
- Academic Planning Guide:
The medical receptionist processes telephone calls, greets patients, schedules appointments, maintains patient file data, and may arrange for laboratory and diagnostic services. Accuracy, dependability and a courteous professional manner are essential. This career requires excellent communication skills and knowledge of patient confidentiality laws. Prerequisite: CPLT1000 Computer Keyboarding or qualifying score on keyboarding assessment test.
The medical receptionist will find job opportunities in a variety of health care settings.
- Utilize appropriate software.
- Apply medical terminology.
- Key business correspondence.
- Communicate proper English and grammar.
- Document telephone communication.
- Schedule appointments.
- Demonstrate accounting principles.
- Illustrate professional behavior.
- Interpret HIPAA regulations.
- Utilize electronic health record.
- Demonstrate insurance and billing procedures.
- Apply medical coding principles.
- ACCT1000 Introduction to Accounting 3
- ACCT1102 Principles of Accounting I 4
- CCIS1080 Microsoft Office 2013 3
- CPLT1005 Skill Building and Document Processing 3
- ENGL1010 Business English 3
- OFCR1301 Medical Terminology 4
- OFCR1317 Medical Office Procedures 4
- OFCR1335 Medical Coding and Reimbursement Fundamentals 4