FIRE SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY
- Program: Fire Protection
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
The A.A.S. degree in Fire Science Technology prepares students to perform the duties of a line officer. As students progress, they will also complete the requirements for two certificates; Fire Suppression Technician and Company Officer. Students typically complete the Fire Suppression Technician certificate first which qualifies them for a lead firefighter position with most fire departments. As students gain experience and continue their education they will earn a Company Officer certificate. The course work also prepares students to take promotional exams. Student must be 18 years of age or meet the requirements for eligibility under Hennepin Technical College’s Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) standards.
Fire Science graduates may perform a variety of jobs in the fire protection family. Titles may include Firefighter, Driver Operator, Inspector or Fire Investigator. Higher level positions, requiring experience and exams, are Fire Marshal, Lieutenant, Captain, District Chief, Deputy Chief, Assistant Chief and Chief of Department.
- Analyze principles of fire control.
- Utilize personnel, equipment and extinguishing agents on the fire ground.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principle of fire development.
- Apply knowledge of hydraulic principles for water supply.
- Identify principles for leadership.
- Utilize knowledge of building construction principles, fire protection systems and fire prevention codes to affect a safe community.
- Identify hazardous materials and properties.
- Outline effective emergency scene operations.
- Apply information management concepts to fire protection administration.
- Utilize effective written communication.
- Demonstrate effective incident management practices.
- FRPT1060 Fire Department Occupational Health & Safety 2
- FRPT1100 Fire Fighter I 5
- FRPT1105 Fire Fighter II 2
- FRPT1110 Fire Instructor I 2
- FRPT1120 Fire Officer I 2
- FRPT1125 Fire Investigation I 2
- FRPT1130 Fire Inspector I 2
- FRPT1136 Principles of Emergency Services 2
- FRPT1155 Fire Protection Systems 2
- FRPT1161 Building Construction for the Fire Service 3
- FRPT1165 Apparatus Operator 3
- FRPT1176 Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational 2
- FRPT2110 Strategy and Tactics 2
- FRPT2115 Fire Officer II 2
- EMSV1050 Emergency Medical Responder (First Responder) 3
- CCDS1020 Interviewing Skills 1
- CPLT1100 Computer Essentials in the Digital World 3
- COMM2130 Public Speaking 3
- ENGL2121 Writing and Research 4
- ENGL2125 Technical Writing 3
- PHIL2100 Critical Thinking 3
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 2 (Critical Thinking) 3
- PHIL2200 Ethics 3
- PHIL2400 Medical Ethics 4
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 5 (History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences) 3
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses