How do I know when I am ready to graduate?
You should meet with your program faculty advisor or a counselor to go over your transcript to see if you have met all the graduation requirements. If so, you should submit an application for award form  to Enrollment Services. Your faculty advisor or counselor needs to sign off on this form indicating that they have met with you before you submit it. The Registrar will then inform you through your email account of your graduation status after reviewing your academic record.


Does it cost anything to participate in the graduation ceremony?
There is a $10 fee to participate in the commencement ceremony. Your student fees are paying for a portion of the ceremony to keep this cost low for you.


Do I need to sign up to attend the ceremonies?

No. Just make sure you complete your application for award form and turn it into Enrollment Services. Watch your email account to see that your application for award is approved. After that, all you have to do is show up at the designated graduate arrival time (posted online at on Commencement Day and you will be provided a cap, gown and tassel.


If I forgot whether I submitted my Application for Award form, what should I do?

Stop at the Enrollment Services office and ask them to check your records.


What is the difference between priority registration and application for award?

Priority registration allows you to register for classes earlier if you have 18 or fewer credits left to complete.  You must submit your Application for Award form by the posted due date in order to qualify for priority registration.


How do I know if I have qualified for priority registration?

Your Registration Window in eServices will indicate whether you have qualified for priority registration.  In addition, an email will be sent to you from the Registrar’s Office if you qualify


What if I changed my mind and I no longer want to participate in the commencement ceremony even though I checked “yes” on my application for award form?

The $10 fee is non-refundable, and the charge will remain on your account even if you decide not to attend the ceremony.  


What if I changed my mind and I do want to participate in the commencement ceremony, even though I checked “no” on my Application for Award form?

Go to the Tuition Office and let the staff member know that you have already turned in your Application for Award form. They will charge the $10 ceremony fee to your account and you will be able to participate in the ceremony.


What if I am a Phi Theta Kappa member?

If you are a Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) member who continues to meet the GPA requirement for membership, you will also receive your PTK stole when you check in on graduation day at the ceremony location.


What if I am graduating with honors?

If you are graduating with honors (overall/cumulative 3.5 GPA and above), you will receive an honors medallion when you check in on graduation day at the ceremony location. Overall GPA is calculated using all the courses you have taken through the end of fall term. Current semester grades cannot be included in the calculation since grades are not received by graduation day. Honor medallions are not given out for program GPA, only for overall/cumulative GPA. If you do not know your overall/cumulative GPA, please check your eServices.


How do I insure that my name will be printed in the graduation program?
In order to have your name printed in the graduation program, you must submit your Application for Award form to the registration office by Friday, April 13, 2018, and meet all graduation eligibility requirements.


Will my name be printed in the program even if I don't plan to walk in the commencement ceremony?

Yes. All students who are approved to graduate by the deadline (April 13, 2018), will be listed in the program that is given out at the ceremony. If there are any programs left from the ceremony, they will be available at the Reception Desk on each campus the week after commencement.


Do my guests need tickets?
Tickets are not needed. You may invite as many guests as you want however, seating is based on a first come, first served basis. There will be an area outside the auditorium to listen to the commencement in the event that all seats fill.


When will I receive my degree, diploma, or certificate?
At the graduation ceremony, you will get a diploma cover, not your actual degree, diploma or certificate. If you have met all eligibility requirements and submitted an application for award form to Enrollment Services, your degree, diploma, or certificate will be mailed to you approximately 12 weeks after the conclusion of the semester.


I am large, short, pregnant, person in a wheelchair, etc. How do I know that a gown will fit me?

A vendor will be at the ceremony giving out caps and gowns. They will be equipped with many petite to XXXL sizes, as well as some larger caps.  There will be a cap and gown for you.


I want an extra tassel, gown, cap, etc. for mom, dad, dog, etc.  Can I have extra?

No, we want to make sure every graduate has their one cap, gown, tassel. No extras  will be available.


I have a Bachelor’s/Master’s/Doctoral degree already and am receiving a certificate here at HTC.  Can I wear my regalia from my higher degree because it is a lot fancier?  

No, you are being celebrated for the successful completion of this particular academic reward, in this case, a certificate.  You will be with your classmates gowned alike for the reception of this certificate.  You only wear your highest degree as a faculty/staff member in a commencement, university inaugural, or convocation.

Where can my family and friends celebrate after the Commencement Ceremony?

Here is a list of restaurant options close to the Convention Center. Keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list. You will need to contact the restaurant to make sure it meets the needs of your party and to make reservations.

Last updated by sschmitz : 2017-08-30 16:25:58