Current Students

Current Students



Any college level course will be considered for transfer. Transfer students with prior coursework at another accredited college or university should provide transcripts for transfer evaluation. If you have attended a Minnesota State College and University institution, HTC may be able to retrieve your official transcript electronically free of charge. Official transcripts from non-MnSCU institutions must be provided in a sealed envelope to:

Hennepin Technical College
Attn: Transfer Center
13100 College View Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55347

Transfer will not be denied solely on the source of accreditation of the sending institution. Additional documentation may be requested.  As part of the course evaluation process you will be asked to provide course syllabus, course objectives and course descriptions.

Courses with a content match to the required Hennepin Technical College (HTC) course can be transferred and used to satisfy specific course requirements in an A.S. degree, A.A.S. degree, diploma, and/or certificate program.

Do I need a certain grade to transfer a course?
If a student's cumulative GPA at the sending institution is less than 2.0, D grades will not be accepted in transfer from that school. However, HTC accepts credits with grades of "D" earned as part of completion of the MnTC and/or as part of a degree awarded from a Minnesota state college or university. Those credits will count toward the total needed to graduate.  However, certain majors do not allow the use of transfer courses with "D” grades as prerequisites. No F grades will be accepted in transfer.

Courses approved for transfer must be comparable in nature, content, and level and match at least 75 percent of the content and goals of the course for which the student is seeking equivalent credit.  Technical courses must have been completed within the past five years to be considered for transfer.  (Students in health related careers should consult with the transfer specialist regarding specific program transfer requirements.)  Transfer grades are not calculated in a student’s GPA.

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum guidelines will be used to categorize transferred General Eduction courses into one of ten MnTC goal areas.  Credit for General Education coursework that does not fit into any goal area will not be granted.

How many credits can I transfer?
The number of credits transferred to Hennepin Technical College is dependent upon the specific requirements of each program or degree offered at HTC.

What response will I receive?
You will be notified by email when your evaluation is complete.  The evaluation will be in the form of a DARS - Degree Audit which will reflect the applicability of transfer credits to the major you have selected. 

After the initial evaluation, if you continue taking courses at a Minnesota State Colleges and Universities institution, you will need to fill out an e-transcript retrieval form after successful completion of the courses and submit it to the transfer center for evaluation.

Other Credit Options
If you have earned college credit at other institutions or through alternative means such as AP, IB, CLEP, military education or prior learning, you may send transcripts or other appropriate documents to the Transfer Center for evaluation.  Please check for more information about CLEP, AP, IB and DSST.

The Veterans Education Transfer System is an online application that helps past, present and future servicemen and servicewomen determine how their military training can count for credit at MnSCU institutions.  Additional Military transfer information can be found at Military Transfer.

What is Transferology?
Transferology is a nation-wide network designed to help you answer the question "Will my courses transfer?"  You may enter coursework, exams, and/or military learning experiences, then discover how many schools in the Transferology network have matching courses that may be awarded when you transfer. One feature in Transferology is the ability to import the courses you have taken at MnSCU institutions to monitor your progress toward a selected degree, certificate or MnTC program at other MnSCU institutions. You can also use transferology to inform schools of your interest in transferring by asking about specific programs, campus visits, and/or coursework that has not yet been evaluated by the school.

Your Rights as a Transfer Student
You have the right to a clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policy, (within this document) a fair credit review, an explanation of why courses did not transfer, and a copy of the formal appeals process which is stated below.

If you wish to appeal a transfer decision.
Fill out the transfer appeal form . Submit the completed form to the Registration Office. After the appeal has been reviewed you will receive a written response.

If you have received an unsatisfactory response from the college you may appeal the college’s transfer appeal decision through the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Senior Vice Chancellor of  Academic and Student Affairs.  For more information see  Procedure 3.21.1- Subpart B - System level appeal.   You may find details regarding the system-level appeal on this page

Transfer Rights and Responsibilites Policy 3.39

Contact Information:
Hennepin Technical College
Transfer Center
13100 College View Drive
Eden Prairie, MN  55347

Carmella Gaynor 952-995-1455 - Transfer Specialist
Susan Markes 952-995-1462 - Transfer Specialist


Last updated by cgaynor : 2014-04-08 14:41:46