Information for Students

Currently enrolled in high school:

If you are currently enrolled in high school and would like to attend HTC, you have several options:

Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program (PSEO): The name of a law that enables high school students to take college or university courses. Sometimes these courses are offered in the high school and sometimes students attend regular college or university courses. Credits can be applied toward high school graduation and can be applied to a college or university degree. The State of Minnesota pays the tuition and most fees. To be eligible to attend, students must meet admissions requirements for PSEO students.

Concurrent Enrollment: Some schools have a special program called Concurrent Enrollment which is a partnership between the high school and Hennepin Technical College. These courses allow students to take HTC courses at the high school.  They are taught by a credentialed high school instructor who is working in partnership with an HTC faculty mentor. These courses allow students to earn both college credits and credit toward their high school graduation.  Both PSEO and Concurrent Enrollment are programs set up by law to "promote rigorous academic pursuits and to provide a wider variety of options to high school pupils".

Students may also enroll in courses on their own. In this case, students meet the regular admissions requirements, pay tuition and fees and register for courses at the college. 

Students with disabilities are responsible for seeking accommodations through HTC's Disability Services Office. If you have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 Plan from your high school, be sure to contact Disability Services as soon as possible.  Accommodations will be provided based on college standards.

Transfer students
If you are transferring to HTC from another institution, contact HTC's Disability Services Office for advice on how to register for services. You may be able to obtain copies of your documentation from your previous institution to provide to HTC. Otherwise, you may be asked to sign release forms for transferring this information directly between the institutions.

Student responsibilities and advocacy

Students with disabilities who want accommodations are responsible for contacting Disability Services to request the accommodations. Prior planning is the key to insuring the proper delivery of services. On your first visit to Disability Services, your Disability Services Director will meet with you to discuss the services you may need and the procedures for setting up those services. Your disability information is maintained separately from your academic record in compliance with federal and state data practices laws. You are responsible for providing the disability office with any documentation that may be required regarding your disability and the accommodations you are requesting.

Self-advocacy is critical to success in higher education. Colleges and universities are restricted from seeking out students with disabilities due to privacy laws. You are responsible for requesting the services you believe you need; the college does not provide accommodations unless or until you ask. The ability to advocate will benefit you in your life and career.

Know yourself and your disability

Before you can advocate for yourself, you need to know how to talk about your disability in a way that other people will understand.

Know your rights and responsibilities
Colleges and universities cannot close their doors to you solely because you have a disability. The college must provide services that will allow you an equal opportunity to access and participate in school activities, provided you meet the “otherwise qualified” language of the law. Please refer to the Disability Services Office for information about the college’s legal responsibilities.

Know where to go for help
A very important part of being successful in college is knowing when you need help and where to find it. Writing down the names and contact information of the people on campus that can help you, including staff at the Disability Services Office, is a good idea.

Take action
Develop a plan for communicating your needs. While the Disability Services office can assist you, developing your own communication skills may be very helpful. Consider practicing before talking with your instructors. You might practice explaining to a counselor or a trusted friend the accommodations you believe you will need.