Select the "Browse Courses" link on tour Continuing Education webpage to find dates, times and locations of upcoming classes. Motorcycle classes are listed under Transportation.Once you've found a class, follow the registration instructions listed under Registration on the left menu bar.

If you are 18 years or older and possess a valid motorcycle permit (from a Minnesota license exam station) you may be able to earn your motorcycle endorsement upon successful completion of the entire course. Note: riders who have already failed a state and/or MMSC skill test twice are not eligible for the State Skill Test Waiver. All subsequent skill tests for a motorcycle endorsement must be taken at a DVS exam station
This course is physically demanding and requires 100% attendance. Participants MUST:

  • Be at least 15 years old (Parent/guardian signature is required for participants under 18 years of age)
  • Possess a valid automobile instructional permit or license.
  • Be able to balance and ride a bicycle Motorcycles are provided.

You must bring the required protective gear for on the range skills including:

  • Eye protection
  • Long-sleeved shirt/jacket
  • Full-fingered gloves
  • Long pants with no tears or holes
  • Sturdy footwear that covers the ankles
  • A D.O.T. approved helmet
  • Parent/guardian signature is required for participants under 18 years of age


Eye protection is required for all motorcycle or moped operators in Minnesota. A DOTs approved helmet is required for operators younger than 18 and for riders with an instruction permit. Adults with valid motorcycle endorsements can choose whether or not to wear a helmet in Minnesota.

Yes. Licensed Minnesota drivers 18 years of age or older with a valid motorcycle permit can earn their endorsement by passing the Basic Rider course. The MMSC basic course also fulfills safety course requirements for Wisconsin and North Dakota residents.

Courses are limited to 12 students and fill quickly so we recommend that you register for a course as soon as possible. You may have to wait for two - three weeks before you are able to attend a course.

If you must drop your class, you must notify us immediately to receive a refund or change to another session. Please note: We cannot issue refunds for cancellations received within three (3) business days of the first class date.

Should a class be canceled due to insufficient enrollment, you will receive a full refund. We will make every effort to contact you in this event and ask if you would like transfer to another class or receive a refund. Note: Please include two (2) phone numbers and an e-mail address with your registration so that we may notify you of any changes in the status of your class.

The Basic Rider Course is a 14.5-hour course, which combines classroom discussion and practice riding on a motorcycle. The 4.5-hour classroom discussion helps prepare you for the on-cycle portions of the course. Classroom topics include protective gear, mind and machine preparation, risk management, rider responsibility, street strategies, special riding situations, and alcohol. The 10-hour riding portion of the class covers the basics of straight-line riding, turning, shifting, and stopping, and the advanced skills of counter-steering, cornering, swerving, and emergency braking.

Courses are offered at Hennepin Technical College's Brooklyn Park Campus and Eden Prairie Campus from mid-April through September. Basic courses (14.5 hours) usually run on a one-weeknight, two weekend-day schedule. Weekday and evening courses are available in June. Experienced courses (5 hours) run on weekends and weeknights. Moped courses (4.5 hours) usually run on weeknights. See the course schedule for more details.


  • Yes, if you are over 18 years of age and plan to earn your motorcycle endorsement on your Minnesota driver’s license.
  • No, if you are under 18 years of age, you are required to take the Basic Rider Course before taking the motorcycle permit and skill tests. You must have a driver’s license or a driver’s instruction permit to enroll in the course.
  • No, if you are over 18 years of age and do not plan to earn your motorcycle endorsement through the course.
  • No, if you are a resident of another state with a valid driver’s license or driver’s permit.


Participants must be at least 15 years of age to take the course and have a valid driver's license or driver's license instruction permit. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parents sign a waiver/liability form.

Participants must furnish their own protective clothing: eye protection, long sleeves, long pants, full-fingered gloves, over the ankle footwear, and DOT approved helmet. Rider coaches are required to dismiss participants who do not bring and use the aforementioned protective gear.

To take this course, you must be able to ride and balance a bicycle. Balancing is not taught in this course. You must be able to safely control the motorcycle during every exercise. Your rider coaches may dismiss you from the course if, at any time, they feel you are a danger to your own safety or the safety of other participants.

To successfully complete the course, 100 percent attendance is required. Participants must pass the knowledge test and the skills test. Motorcycle Safety Foundation curriculum standards require rider coaches to dismiss participants who are late or miss any portion of the entire course.

Anyone who holds either a driver's license or a moped permit is eligible to operate a moped.

If you are 15 years of age or older and/or you do not have a driver's license, you must take a moped safety class and then take the knowledge and riding tests at a state exam station.

Riding a motorcycle requires a motorcycle endorsement or motorcycle permit. A moped can be ridden on the street by any licensed driver or anyone 15 years of age or older with a moped permit. A scooter is either a moped or a motorcycle, depending on its size: A moped is defined as having 50cc or less, having less than 2hp, and capable of no more than 30 mph. If it does not meet all three requirements, it is considered a motorcycle. Gos Peds,small, twos wheeled vehicles with motors but none of the required equipment for motorcycle and mopeds (headlight, mirrors, etc.) are only legal to ride on private property.

A Minnesota motorcycle instruction permit is valid for one year from the date it is issued.

The permit test is based on the Minnesota Motorcycle/Motorized Bicycle Manual. Go to the nearest state exam station to pick up a copy of the manual, or view it here.

Go to the nearest state exam station to take the written permit test. For a list of exam station locations, click here.
Note: There is a fee for the permit test.

For adults (18 years of age or older), who have a valid Minnesota or Wisconsin driver's license, there are two ways:

  1. Take the knowledge (permit) test and the riding (endorsement) test at a state exam station.
  2. Take the knowledge (permit) test at a state exam station, and then take our Basic Rider course. If you pass, you'll qualify for your motorcycle endorsement without having to take the riding test at the state exam station.

If you are a minor (younger than 18 years of age), you must take the Basic Rider course first, then take the knowledge (permit) test and the riding (license) test at a state exam station.

Yes, please contact Peggy Anderson at 763.657.3705 or to inquire about private sessions for riding clubs or groups.

Courses will run regardless of the weather conditions. Be prepared for rain, snow, wind, cold, and heat. Bring rain gear and dress in layers for warmth. Class may be postponed by the instructor because of severe weather.


  • Yes, training motorcycles (125 to 250cc) are provided for the Basic Rider Course only.
  • No, training motorcycles are not provided for the experienced, advanced and expert courses. Participants must provide their own motorcycle. The motorcycle must be street legal, and you must provide current proof of insurance to your instructor.


Yes, provided you show proof of insurance and your motorcycle is street legal with an engine displacement of 500cc or less with an unladen weight of 400 pounds or less.

The Basic Rider course is designed for people who have never ridden a motorcycle. Many participants pass the course on their first try, but it is not uncommon for participants to take the course more than once.

Yes, North Dakota accepts the Minnesota basic course for motorcycle endorsements.

Yes, Wisconsin accepts the Minnesota basic course for motorcycle endorsements. Wisconsin residents DO NOT need a motorcycle permit to earn their endorsements.

In the basic class, you may bring your own motorcycle or scooter that is street legal and insured, or you can use one of our training bikes. All of our bikes are between 125 and 500cc.In the advanced class, you must ride your own motorcycle that is street legal and present proof of insurance. The moped class is classroom only, no moped is needed.

The basic course costs $180. The advanced course costs $55. The moped course costs $35.

If you took the course within the last three years, you should contact the school at which yo u took the course for a replacement. For school contact information, contact Peggy Anderson, 763.657.3705.

Send a selfs addressed, stamped envelope to Bumper Sticker, Motorcycle Safety, Minnesota Department of Public Safety, 444 Cedar Street, Suite 155, St. Paul, Minnesota, 55101. To view all available MMSC safety materials, click here.

No. However, DirtBike Tech (763.757.3478) offers dirt bike schools. You can also find dirt bike schools by calling 877.288.7093.

Last updated by admin : 2018-07-24 13:04:33